TESOL (Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages) professionals are those who work to help people, especially speakers of other languages, to learn the English language proficiently. A bachelor’s degree in education with a focus on TESOL will require applicants to possess a high school diploma or GED. Those seeking a graduate-level degree in this discipline will likely need a minimum of a bachelor’s degree in a related field. Academic references and a minimum GPA may also be considered for all applicants. Those who are multilingual (even bilingual) will find the most success in this field of study. Linked to both Applied Linguistics and Education, TESOL is concerned with theoretical and practical issues in teaching English as a Second Language (ESL).
- It offers a wide range of options, you are sure to find one that suits your specific needs.
- You will enjoy greater scheduling flexibility with the online classes, as you can learn from home, classroom, or even a local coffee shop.
- Most online degree programs can be completed at your own pace, one class at a time. Also, you can utilize the accelerated online tracks if you wish to speed up your learning process.
- Online TESOL certification programs prepare you interactively to develop necessary skills to teach people of different cultures.
A TESOL instructor works with people from several different cultures. Therefore, during the learning process, candidates are equipped with skills to combat cultural challenges; however, the main objective is to learn how to clearly instruct others to proficiently read and write in English.
The coursework under TESOL certification may cover these aspects:
- Research and development of language teaching materials and methodologies
- Processes of language learning in communities, classroom learning, and language acquisition in individuals
- Teacher training and professional development
- Computer-based language instruction
- Second language testing
- Program evaluation
- Curriculum design
- Development of second language literacy
- Intercultural communication
TESOL certification and online TESOL master’s degrees allow graduates to work in a variety of second language teaching contexts, for example, schools, universities, private language centers, teach abroad programs, company and business classes. In addition, you can work in curriculum development, teacher training, or program administration. There is a great demand for English teachers in countries such as South Korea, Japan, and China. According to the US Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median income for adult literacy and remedial education teachers is around $48,000.
TESOL professionals are widely sought-after these days as immigration rates are higher than ever. So if you are passionate about teaching English abroad you can begin by locating the education program that suits you the most from the online TESOL certification courses offered by accredited universities across the United States. The respective college or university will assist you in making sure that the online TESOL certification program you choose is the best choice for your educational and career goals.
Source: U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics